January is the perfect month to refresh a bedroom! Currently trending is a cozy bedroom environment with varying textures in bedding and decorating elements integrating natural items. You can update existing bedding by adding complementary or pop colors in throw pillows and sham covers. This month, many of your favorite retailers will offer sales on bedroom and bath linens. Now is the time to restyle and create a cozy haven for yourself!
When trying to find a suitable sheet set, it can be complicated, all the various labeling you will find. Choosing linens that are responsibly sourced with sustainability in mind is essential to many of you. You will find options that use organic or recycled materials. What do the labels mean?
- Fair Trade Certification: Items are produced in safe working conditions, with the environment in mind, using sustainable methods to support farmers.
- GOTS Certification: Global Organic Textile Standard – “Certified organic status of textiles, from the harvesting of the raw fiber, through environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing up to labeling to provide credible assurance to the end consumer.”
- OEKO-TEX Certification: Verifies products’ safety and production processes for health and the environment. It certifies that non-hazardous end-products and all their components that carry the Standard 100 label have been tested and proven free of harmful levels of toxic substances.
Check out my Pinterest board for ideas to decorate your bedroom and retailers that sell organic and sustainable linens.
Create a restyle plan!
The quickest way to achieve a fresh look in a room is to paint! 2022 paint trends offer many lovely shades of green for you to pick from, or perhaps you wish to keep it neutral and add touches or pops of color. Update your light and make sure you have enough light in the room using matching white light bulbs. Add texture, natural elements, and layers of cozy textiles.
Minimize the clutter in your room, have a storage area for everything and a designated place, in easy-to-locate storage, for frequently used items. Repurpose old items and use them in new ways or modern settings. Add a new piece of art, or shop your home, and look for something in another area of your home to use in a new way.
6 steps to create a layered look:
- Begin with a fresh set of sheets.
- If you do not have a headboard or would like to soften an existing one, you can create the look with a pair of Euro pillow shams. If you are the DIY type, make them using the fabric of your choice. You can add pops of color to your sham that compliment your duvet cover as they do not have to match. You will need to purchase the inserts and check out this video to help you make the sham.
- Add comfortable sleeping pillows.
- Add a light blanket.
- Add your comforter or duvet.
- Add a few throw pillows to add a fun pop of color and texture and compliment them with a soft throw at the foot of the bed.