It’s January, and do you know what that means? Time for the biggest sales on bedroom linens you will see all year! Search for your favorite online bedroom or linen site, and you will notice that they are offering discounts on linens and often bedroom furniture. January is the month to get a new duvet cover or replace old sheets with a fresh look. Three ways that you can quickly give your bedroom a new look:
As we start the New Year, January is the perfect month to update the look of your bedroom. This month specializes in white sales as stores are looking to clear out their inventory. It’s also a great time to lighten up your bedroom since the winter month’s offer less light. For ideas on how you can quickly update your bedroom, guest bedroom, or any bedroom in your home keep reading. Look forward to more bedroom decorating ideas in the future.
Update Your Linens
Take advantage of the fabulous sales going on and update your linens and towels. Buying sheets are not all about thread count; you also need to consider what they are made of and what you are looking for in a sheet set.
Understand types of fabric:
- Percale comes in 100% cotton or cotton/poly blends usually with a thread count of 180-200. Poly/Cotton blends are usually less expensive, run hot because of the polyester yarn, and don’t wrinkle as much as the 100% cotton.
- Pima and Supima are high-quality cotton from the Southwestern part of the US (Pima) and Egypt (Supima) and are very soft with a thread count of 200-300.
- Organic cotton is often chosen by people who want to avoid chemicals; however, cotton is processed with chemicals, and you will want to look for a seal of GOTS or OEKO-TEX certification. To understand fabrics that are classified as organic and genuinely what that means, click here.
- Note, sheets made of bamboo are rayon. The process of turning bamboo into fabric requires the use of chemicals; therefore, don’t think this is a healthier or more “natural” choice (as is often depicted on the labeling of the sheets.)
Online retail sites for white sales:
If you want to change your color scheme and your old sheets are in good condition, consider donating them to The Salvation Army, Goodwill, or Habitat for Humanity ReStore. If you have very used towels or blankets that you plan to replace, many animal shelters will take these items for their animal care.
- Add more lighting, an additional table lamp, floor lamp, or wall sconce.
- Change all of your lamp shades to white.
- Update all your light bulbs to the maximum wattage with a crisp white light.
- Add light colors to your bedroom. If everything is dark in your bedroom, consider adding a new duvet that would bring in light colors.
- Change your artwork to something with a brighter theme or change the frames to be a lighter color. Keep in mind one large piece of art visually looks cleaner and is more pleasing to the eye than many small sized pieces.
- Reduce stuff and clutter. The more things, the more you will feel surrounded and closed in.
If your bedroom or guest room’s mattress doesn’t offer the desired comfort, add a mattress topper! To learn about the available options, click here.
If you know you want to change something in your bedroom and you are unsure what to do, check out my Houzz IdeaBoard below for ideas:
If you plan to change the paint color in your bedroom, or if you need help choosing a color palette, give me a call to set up a consultation 610.955.8202 or email. Start 2018 with a fresh new bedroom look!
By Debbie Correale, founder and owner of Redesign Right, LLC. You can learn more about her at RedesignRight.com. Find her on Facebook.com/RedesignRight, Twitter @RedesignRight, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Houzz, Google+ and Instagram. Feature photo from Houzz: A.S.D. Interiors – Shirry Dolgin, Owner.
by Debbie Correale
Is it time for an updated look in your bedroom? Spring and summer is a great time to add a fresh feel to your bedroom let’s go over some ideas!
If you moved into your home 15 years ago and your décor has not changed since that time then it is definitely time for a change! If you are unhappy with your bedroom furniture consider a new look, check out ideas from Arhaus or Ikea. Do you need a new mattress set but have no idea where to start looking? Read this article titled, “How to Pick Your Perfect Mattress” from WebMd where useful information is offered to determine what you need.
Let’s review the components of your bedroom. If you want a symmetrical look, you can go for the matching night stands and lamps; however, you don’t have to match. For those of you that like a more natural or eclectic look, the key is balance and color. If you like your current furniture and lamps, consider new bedding. For ideas that you can incorporate into your bedroom, or to be inspired, review these ideas from House Beautiful. Use the Chinese method of Feng Shui to help balance your bedroom, click here to learn how you can map out your room and add the necessary elements to create a healthy and happier environment.
Update Your Comforter: There are many choices available in terms of types of comforters available; you will need to decide if you will purchase a down filled or fiber filled comforter. Depending on your temperature at night will help you determine this. Basically, down filled is better at regulating temperatures whereas fiber fill is less apt to do so. However, if you are an allergy sufferer down filled may not be the best choice for you. Once you have that determined, the next step is choosing a comforter. To help you choose, click here for a comforter guide by Good Housekeeping. I love the idea of purchasing a quality comforter with many duvet covers for a change in seasons or tastes without the large expense of replacing the whole comforter. For some duvet cover ideas here is a list of online retailers worth checking out:
Update Your Bed Skirt: If you have an old bed skirt that you are tired of, consider getting rid of it completely and using a fitted sheet to cover your box spring to ensure that it matches or complements your bed coverings. Another option is to choose a simple and clean look such as this Matelassé Bed skirt or Linen Bed skirt (both from The Company Store.)
Update Your Pillows or Shams: You can quickly transform the look of your bedroom by adding new decorative pillows to your bed. This is a fabulous way to add a new color to your room to freshen up the look. Check out these fun patterns and fabric options from Pier1.com.
Updating Sheets and Tips for Buying:: Everyone knows that the higher the thread count means softer, better quality sheets but be careful as the highest count may not be the best quality sheet for you as it is stiffer and does not allow air to pass through the sheet (often the stiffer versions tend to be sateen). The general rule of thumb is to look for sheets that are at least 200 thread count or more and pay attention to the material used to make the sheets. Here are a few helpful links to review:
If you need help with your bedroom redesign this season, contact Debbie@RedesignRight.com to help you with an updated look!
Debbie Correale is founder and owner of Redesign Right, LLC. You can learn more about her at www.RedesignRight.com. Find her on Facebook.com/RedesignRight, Twitter @RedesignRight, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Houzz and Google+.