In myÂ Create a Healthy & Restful HomeÂ series this week, I focus on adding plants or trees to your home to better the air quality in your home. Some plants are known for removing various toxins from the air. A home with good air quality creates a healthy environment for you and your family.
VOCs in the Home
Volatile organic compounds (VOCs)Â are gases that household items can emit, for example, paint, furniture, and carpet, to name a few. The science behind plants absorbing toxins began with a studyÂ NASAÂ performed in a closed circulation environment. Our homes are not sealed tight, so it is not an exact comparison as our homes offer ventilation allowing outside air to enter the house.Â
4 Tips to maintain healthy air in your home:
- Open your windows to encourage air ventilation and let the sun it!Â
- Maintain and replace filters in your homeâ€™s HVAC system.
- Minimize or eliminate new VOCs in the home. Understand the products you are using and what they can be doing to your air.Â
- Add plants and trees! Plants bring the vibrancy of nature, the lovely colors of nature, and the feeling of being outdoors.
- VOC absorbing Plants
- Understanding Candles
- Choose the right air purifier for your needs and home. The HEPA filters are good at removing large particles that cause allergies. However, carbon-filter purifiers are more effective at removing VOCs. Do your research as simply running the purifier may create additional VOCs.