Moving is in the top 10 list of life’s most stressful events. As a move may result from downsizing or dealing with challenging life events, managing the transition can be difficult. As a professional stager, I offer a fresh perspective on a home, and I understand the emotions involved in moving. I have personally relocated over fourteen times in my life; trust me, I get it. Buyers like a home based on how they feel when they walk into it; they make an instant impression. As a home stager, I understand how to maximize your home’s assets so that you can sell your home quickly and for the most money.
The question I get when visiting a homeowner to stage their home is, “What are the basic things I need to change that won’t break the bank?”
5-point checklist of things you can do yourself:
- Clean up the exterior of your yard. Power wash any mold or stained siding. Replace your welcome mat, and seal your driveway.
- If your front door is dirty, clean it, perhaps paint it. Add a few tall plants to your front porch to add a spark of color and green.
- Pack up and remove anything unnecessary for your daily life and immaculately clean your home, including baseboards, fans, carpets, and floors.
- If you have a garage, organize and clean it. There should be no bags of stuff or toys sitting around. All things should have a place or be stored out of sight.
- Clean walls and touch up paint if there are holes or scuff marks.
Another question I often get is, “What do I have to fix?” If the item that needs fixing is something that you notice quickly upon walking through your house, you will want to fix it. Depending on how the market is in your area will depend on what changes you should absolutely make. Check if other homes are on sale in your neighborhood, which you can do by going to Zillow. Keep in mind that potential home buyers look at needed improvements as overwhelming and costly even if they are not!
I understand the emotional ties that come with moving and sorting through cherished belongings, and I look forward to helping you navigate through the home-selling and staging challenges. Please give me a call 610-955-8202 or email so we can get started preparing your home for sale.