Create the same cozy feel of your home when entertaining outdoors by connecting your inside space to your outdoor area with lighting you can add yourself. If you are considering adding a new deck, your contractor will review lighting options for safety, task, and ambient light. This article will offer solutions for an older deck with insufficient light.
Outdoor Lighting Tips:
- LED strip lights can be added under built-in benches or deck rails and offer a soft glow.
- Rope lights can be added under your deck rails with clips.
- String Lights can be added overhead for maximum light or strung from the deck rail using screw hooks or clips. If you are hanging from the deck rail, consider this type with smaller lights. Choose waterproof and shatterproof LED outdoor warm white lights. If you wish to attach overhead and your deck or patio does not have anything to add a string light to, click here for instructions. Another option is to attach lights to posts in weighted planters; click here to view and here for another example.
- Fairy lights battery-powered can be added to palm plants, mason jars, or lanterns for an instant glow.
Note: Before you consider adding any lights to a deck or patio, know the location of the power source. Use an extension cord that is rated for outdoor use and plug it into a GFCI outlet.
Solar Powered Lights
If you have areas of your deck, patio, or yard that receive much sunlight, try adding solar-powered lights. Solar lanterns that you can clip to your dining table umbrella or anywhere that gets some direct light. Spotlights can be added to areas or features in your yard that you want to light up at night.
Clip resources for hanging lights:
- Wood hanger screw hooks
- Wood hanger hook
- Permanent Tape: If you choose to use a permanent tape, read all the reviews, and think about any damage it may do if you ever decide to remove the tape.
Think of your outdoor space as an extra room in your house. Create seating and conversation areas anchored by a firepit or a lovely outdoor rug. Surround yourself with comfort and accessories using color and textures as you would in a room in your home.