A rug is a fantastic way to separate the rooms by purpose, add comfort, and add color in an open floor plan where one area merges into another. Because the rug anchors the room, you will want to purchase the correct size that meets your family’s needs. To learn more about selecting a suitable rug material and size, check out How to Buy the Right Rug.
5 Tips on adding and decorating with an area rug:
- Purchase the right-sized rug. As a rug creates a conversation area, you would not want to use a 5×7′ rug in a room that is 16×18′ as that would be too small. For example, in a living room, you want the front legs of the large pieces of furniture (couch, big chairs) to all be on the carpet. For sizing tips, click here.
- Layering rugs is a fantastic way to add flair, texture, and color to a room. If you have plain colored wall-to-wall carpet, or perhaps it is old, and you cannot replace it, consider a beautiful area rug over the top!
- What wear and tear will the carpet get? If you have kids or pets, the potential for spilling and stains is high, and you will want to purchase a rug constructed of a material that is easily spot-cleaned. If you already have a fun rug, use it for your room’s inspiration and focal point!
- If you have older furniture and want to modernize the look, find a great modern rug and repeat its theme and colors with accessories and decorative elements.
- Create a conversation area on your deck or patio with an outdoor rug.