Now that summer is officially here, and we are enjoying our outdoor areas more, I thought it would be fun to focus on outdoor lighting—specifically, deck, patio, or porch lighting ideas.
Ideas for Adding Outdoor Light
Use a string of LED lights choosing a color like your decking or that will blend in. If you have a wood deck, use cable staples under your deck railing or balusters, depending on the look you want to achieve. Lightly hammer the staples in to create a channel to hold your lights discretely. Use long-lasting LED bulbs and extension cords rated for outdoor use. Purchase an outdoor smart-plug to connect your outdoor lights to your Google Assistant or Alexa apps to automate the lights.
How to Hang Lights
Adding a few strings of light overhead can be the perfect solution. Again, choose LED lights rated for outdoor use. Choose shatterproof bulb strings with hooks to hang easily. Look around your deck or patio and assess how you can achieve the look you want. Attach a string of lights to vinyl siding by using this clip, or choose this clip if you want a light-colored hook. If you have brick, use a brick clip to hang lights.
Tips for Hanging Lights
When hanging lights overhead, consider hanging from the corner of the house, your siding, or a tree in the yard. If you want to add lights overhead and do not have a corner post or something to attach a string of lights, there are options.
- Create a support system using this DIY planter project and a fence post. Keep in mind; you will want to paint the wood the color of your deck trim to blend in with your style.
- Click here for instructions on using a wood dowel for your light posts, and a planter.
- String lights from a tree, click here for an example.
Other Ways to Add Light
- Add umbrella lights or purchase an umbrella with built-in lights such as this one from Wayfair with an integrated solar panel. Use a rechargeable umbrella light that you can add to the umbrella you already own.
- Add outdoor table lamps, lanterns, or a colorful glow light that you can use as a table.
- Add a privacy screen, and hang fun string lights on the frame.
If you want to replace or add a new deck, check out this article for things to consider, and don’t forget to plan your lighting options in the budget! For visual ideas on deck lighting, view my Pinterest board. Have fun enjoying your beautiful backyard, patio, or balcony oasis!