Are you scratching your head wondering what a Millennial is?Â These are people who were born around 1982 or after and make up the largest group of todayâ€™s home buying consumers.Â How does this impact you?Â Younger buyers want an updated home and with the majority of the homes available on the market, built in the 1990s, that poses a challenge for home sellers.Â With this in mind, if you have an older home and are looking to sell this year due to downsizing or relocation you will want to review these tips to help you in the process.
Millennials are looking for that “Pottery Barn feel” that is updated and clean. Â Because of their busy lifestyle they want to move to a home that is in ready condition and tend to shy away from fixer uppers.
Here are five “Must do’s” that will make the biggest selling impact:
- Take down outdated wallpaper.
- Paint the interior of the home in a neutral color – varying the intensity in some rooms.
- Update kitchen and baths (even if it is just changing the counter tops, knobs, and lighting).
- Replace outdated and dirty carpets throughout keeping carpet one color.
- The best salesman in a room is the way the furniture is placed.Â Make sure the key Rooms:Â Family room, Living Room, Entrance, Kitchen and Master Bedroom and Bath are professionally staged showing prospective buyers the many possibilities.
If you plan to put your home on the market this year, give me a call 610.955.8202, and I can help you present your home in the best possible way to potential Millennial buyers.
By Debbie Correale, founder and owner of Redesign Right, LLC. You can learn more about her at www.RedesignRight.com. Find her on Facebook.com/RedesignRight, Twitter @RedesignRight, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Houzz and Google+.