As we start the New Year, January is the perfect month to update the look of your bedroom. This month specializes in white sales as stores are looking to clear out their inventory. It’s also a great time to lighten up your bedroom since the winter month’s offer less light. For ideas on how you can quickly update your bedroom, guest bedroom, or any bedroom in your home keep reading. Look forward to more bedroom decorating ideas in the future.
Update Your Linens
Take advantage of the fabulous sales going on and update your linens and towels. Buying sheets are not all about thread count; you also need to consider what they are made of and what you are looking for in a sheet set.
Understand types of fabric:
- Percale comes in 100% cotton or cotton/poly blends usually with a thread count of 180-200. Poly/Cotton blends are usually less expensive, run hot because of the polyester yarn, and don’t wrinkle as much as the 100% cotton.
- Pima and Supima are high-quality cotton from the Southwestern part of the US (Pima) and Egypt (Supima) and are very soft with a thread count of 200-300.
- Organic cotton is often chosen by people who want to avoid chemicals; however, cotton is processed with chemicals, and you will want to look for a seal of GOTS or OEKO-TEX certification. To understand fabrics that are classified as organic and genuinely what that means, click here.
- Note, sheets made of bamboo are rayon. The process of turning bamboo into fabric requires the use of chemicals; therefore, don’t think this is a healthier or more “natural” choice (as is often depicted on the labeling of the sheets.)
Online retail sites for white sales:
If you want to change your color scheme and your old sheets are in good condition, consider donating them to The Salvation Army, Goodwill, or Habitat for Humanity ReStore. If you have very used towels or blankets that you plan to replace, many animal shelters will take these items for their animal care.
- Add more lighting, an additional table lamp, floor lamp, or wall sconce.
- Change all of your lamp shades to white.
- Update all your light bulbs to the maximum wattage with a crisp white light.
- Add light colors to your bedroom. If everything is dark in your bedroom, consider adding a new duvet that would bring in light colors.
- Change your artwork to something with a brighter theme or change the frames to be a lighter color. Keep in mind one large piece of art visually looks cleaner and is more pleasing to the eye than many small sized pieces.
- Reduce stuff and clutter. The more things, the more you will feel surrounded and closed in.
If your bedroom or guest room’s mattress doesn’t offer the desired comfort, add a mattress topper! To learn about the available options, click here.
If you know you want to change something in your bedroom and you are unsure what to do, check out my Houzz IdeaBoard below for ideas:
If you plan to change the paint color in your bedroom, or if you need help choosing a color palette, give me a call to set up a consultation 610.955.8202 or email. Start 2018 with a fresh new bedroom look!
By Debbie Correale, founder and owner of Redesign Right, LLC. You can learn more about her at RedesignRight.com. Find her on Facebook.com/RedesignRight, Twitter @RedesignRight, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Houzz, Google+ and Instagram. Feature photo from Houzz: A.S.D. Interiors – Shirry Dolgin, Owner.