Are you planning to sell your home soon? If so, you will want to take a good look at the outside of your home and be sure that it presents as nicely as possible for a potential buyer. The majority of buyers will first view your home online which means you will want quality photos done after you have prepared the outside of your home. Next, if the potential buyer lives locally, they will do a drive-by of your home. You want to make sure the exterior of your home entices the buyer so much she calls for an appointment to see the rest of your home!
Let’s go over a 12 item checklist of must-dos to get you started on your exterior:
- Clean your entryway of all debris.
- Check your porch light(s); it’s the easiest thing to change out and offer a fresh look.
- Paint your front door, click here for instructions on the best techniques. If your house has shutters, do they need a new coat of paint as well? Keep in mind that your front door and shutter paint color do not have to match, but they should complement each other and go with the style of your home (and observe any Homeowners’ Association rules that may apply.)
- Do you need new hardware on your front door? If you plan to paint your door, this is a perfect time to remove and replace any hardware.
- Add a spotlight to illuminate a walkway, or add a featured focal point.
- Remove all toys, garden waste, etc.
- Plant beautiful seasonal flowers and mulch your beds.
- Trim your bushes and trees.
- Have your house and sidewalks power There should be no signs of mold!
- Seal your driveway.
- Add a new and inviting solid black Welcome mat.
- Add vibrant colored (ensure that they can be seen from the roadway) flowers to your entryway.
Do you know what the three top most desirable outdoor elements are for potential buyers? According to the 2015 American Society of Landscape Survey out of 581 respondents the top three most popular outdoor design elements include:
- Fire pits / fireplaces – 78.0%
- Lighting – 72.0%
- Grills – 63.0%
What significance does this have? If you have any of the elements mentioned above, you will want to feature them! For example, if you have an outdoor fire pit, before showing your home arrange chairs around the fireplace or pit and display with colorful pillows that make the potential homeowner look at it and say, “Wow, I really like that!”
For all your home staging needs Redesign Right has got you covered! Or if you need color, fabric, and home decorating, give Debbie a call 610.955.8202 for a consultation or click here to email. No job is too big or too small!
By Debbie Correale, founder and owner of Redesign Right, LLC. You can learn more about her at www.RedesignRight.com. Find her on Facebook.com/RedesignRight, Twitter @RedesignRight, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Houzz and Google+.